Friday, June 21, 2013

What/How I Read, 3.0

Welcome to the third installment of What/How I Read! As stated in previous posts, I don't like to read one thing at a time but rather read multiple books (e-books, book books, fiction, non-fiction, etc) according to categories. These categories, the number of them, and how many books I read per category are always subject to change, either because I've discovered a better way (hopefully) or life circumstances have changed and changing my reading habits has become necessary.

You can compare my first and second reading posts to see how I have evolved, transhuman in the making!

Literary Fiction: Kokoro by Natsume Sōseki

I nice book so far. Very simple, direct language. I'm a fan of Japanese lit, Japanese culture/history/language really.

Genre Fiction: I, Robot by Isaac Asimov

Not as good as I'd hoped. But written a very long time ago. I consider this research for something I'm thinking of writing.

Philosophy/Science: The Singularity Is Near by Raymond Kurzweil (a long book!)

Endlessly fascinating, though I'm starting to doubt Kurzweil, as brilliant as he is, is sane.

Self-Help: How We Decide by Jonah Lehrer

Self-help books have improved the quality of my life. I am a fan! This one is as practical as you can get. It's about making decisions - that's all life is really about!

Other: Bible by ? (a long book! I stopped reading this for some time but now plan on finishing it)

A little boring.

Then there's biweekly readings. These are in addition to the weekly reading above; and they alternate so that every week I'm reading from one of the two lists:

Week 1:

  • My Read Later folder on Instapaper
  • A read later pile I have of magazines, handouts, etc


Week 2:

  • Google News articles
  • An alternating choice between: digital subscriptions and short anthologies
  • A few pages from a writing book; currently reading: The Craft & Business of Writing edited by Lauren Mosko


As you can tell, I'm still reading some books even from a couple of years ago. From these, I've been reading a few pages at a time.

You can also check out my Goodreads page and friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment