Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Purpose of Life

I don't know what it is. I don't think you all expected me to know. I just want to throw the question out there: well, what is it?

The longer I live, the simpler the answer is for me. Of course, that is, for me. My purpose is to do as much good as possible before I die. Money, status, sex just don't matter in the long run. I've managed to live without the three for quite some time. I know.

I feel like what I'm currently doing in life has a purpose, which is all anyone can ever hope for. Am I truly happy? No. My life's pretty tough, if I do say so myself. But I'm as happy as I can be, all else considered. Happiness is relative. The frame of reference is crucial. If unrealistic, say you're comparing yourself to the rich and famous, then you're bound to be unhappy. If you compare yourself with 99% of the world, you, reading this, are probably really fucking lucky - as am I.

So purpose. Be happy? Have fun? Work till you die? None of it matters to me if you're not doing something to help make the world better. It's an obligation. To show you're thankful. I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment