Saturday, February 4, 2012

Spring 2012

Just had my first week of classes at City. I thought I'd share what my courses and reading materials are.

I'm taking three courses (three is considered full-time for my MFA program): 1) a translation workshop, 2) Victorian Science Fiction, and 3) Narrative Structure. Stoked for them all. I was a bit hesitant about the translation workshop, but now I'm thinking it might sharpen my writerly skills in ways I hadn't anticipated. Besides, I love languages and already read in different ones (mostly, Spanish and French). (I had originally thought that I should've taken a poetry workshop instead, but I'll still probably take one later on.) Victorian SF seems really cool (check out reading list below - I don't have to buy any books: they're all free online!). Narrative Structure examines, as you might imagine, structures of various novels and then builds on what is learned by having students develop their own novels. That is, we will be turning in a synopses and first chapter of our novels. It's like a lit course meets writing workshop.

Lots of good reading ahead. So let me finish writing this so I can read.

Reading Material 2012 (in proper sequence):

Translation Workshop

  • We will largely be choosing our own reading materials as we will be choosing what we translate. I'm thinking about translating some works by Dominican (DR, not Dominica, certainty not a friar) writer Socrates Nolasco, such as his Cuentos del Sur

Victorian Science Fiction

Narrative Structure
  • The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (I had read this before for a Hardy course I'd taken as an undergrad. Like it. But Jude the Obscure is my fav. Click here for a review of Jude.)
  • A Study in Scarlet by AC Doyle
  • Brighton Rock by Graham Greene
  • The Passion by Mel Gibson Jeanette Winterson
  • Fun Home by Alison Bechdel (She is such a dyke - no, really. She uses the term, not me! Click here to check out a talk she gives at Cornell discussing the book, which is actually a graphic novel.)

No comments:

Post a Comment