Sunday, November 13, 2011

The First Novel I Ever Read

The first novel I ever read is Shadow of a Bull by Maia Wojciechowscka. It's about a boy whose father is a famous matador and is expected to follow in his footsteps. But bullfighting doesn't exactly come naturally to the boy. Of course, there's more to the story.

A good read for young readers. Not too long (c. 160 pp). I remember feeling a great deal of accomplishment having finished a book of fiction for the first time. I must've been around 10. While, as a vegetarian, I don't feel the same way about bullfighting as, say, Hemingway did, it is certainly romanticized nicely here. A great intro to the sport, even if its inhumanely cruel and pointless. (Had to put that in there.)

Let me know your first novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment