Thursday, June 30, 2011

What and How I Read

I thought I'd share my reading list with you all. As a writer, I'm well aware of the importance of reading in developing one's skills. It's, also, important to read a variety of different things and from different authors. I have specific goals in mind as a writer of fiction. Therefore, I read according to my certain categories: literary classics, speculative fiction (my niche), philosophy or science (my passions), mythology or religion (interests of mine, as are culture and history), and self improvement (which includes things such as martial arts and psychology). I read about a chapter a book per category per week. Some are ebooks and some aren't. I prefer reading my ebooks with the Kindle Reading Apps. They're free and enable me to read wherever I am - comfortably! I, also, have a third generation Kindle, though I rarely use it. My current weekly reading list looks like this:

Classic:
- Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy

Speculative Fiction:
- Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

Science/Philosophy (2 [e]books for this category):
- The Singularity is Near by Ray Kurzweil (and other books)

Myth/Religion:
- The Bible by . . .

Self-Improvement:
- The Craft & Business of Writing edited by Lauren Mosko (and other books)

The categories and how many books I read per category are liable to change. Specifically, I'm thinking about changing the myth and religion category to an ancient or old texts category, which would allow me to include more. Then again, I could make it cultural, thus including books about different parts of the world or by authors of different nationalities.

I read a lot more than 5 chapters a week, actually. I use Instapper and Google Reader to read numerous articles, essays, and short stories, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment